Good condition of the knee joint is important for normal movement. In the event of any problem, disease or injury to the joints, musculoskeletal system, every step is accompanied by severe and sometimes unbearable knee pain. For the treatment of the knee joint, the use of drugs and physiotherapy is prescribed. Care must be taken to protect it from external influences. To this end, a knee brace was invented to fix the knee joint. These devices are made of a variety of materials, with different degrees of protection, and have a wide range of applications.
Indications for the use of knee pads
This immobilization device is used not only to protect the affected joint, but also to reduce the load on it, as well as to normalize its function after injury and surgery. Knee braces can be used both for treatment (eg, arthropathy) and for the prevention of various diseases. However, the device should only be worn after an appointment with an attending physician, as it can cause disruption to the blood supply to the joint, exacerbating the problem.
Wearing knee pads can be used to treat and prevent various diseases. They are often recommended for athletes to wear to prevent injury. Fixtures are used to treat:
- Arthropathy and arthritis;
- dislocation and subluxation;
- rheumatic diseases;
- Injury and cause joint instability.
Typically, fixatives are used during recovery after complex injuries or surgery.
Orthotics are recommended for:
- Unload the damaged knee joint. The device is recommended for people with joint disorders, when any step is accompanied by unbearable pain, which can significantly slow down recovery;
- Prevent pathology and injury. Knee pads and bandages are mandatory for athletes and those working in trade and construction. Overweight people need to wear special elastic knee pads;
- Immobilize the injured knee. In this case, a compression bandage is prescribed to help prevent further damage to the knee or meniscus, reducing severe pain and swelling. In this case, the immobilization device is an additional stabilizer for the joint;
- Movement restrictions. For this, rigid bandages are prescribed, completely excluding any movement.
Knee pads help:
- Speed up the healing process.
- Prevents meniscus and knee injuries.
- Strengthen damaged joints.
- Keep the patient moving.
- Pain relief.
- Improves outflow of lymph and blood circulation.
- Eliminate puffiness.
- Minimize inflammatory processes in joints.
- Reduce load.
- Promote knee movement.
In addition, orthopedic fixators are an excellent substitute for impractical plaster casts.
What material are braces made of?
The manufacture of orthoses uses a large number of materials. The most popular are:
- dog fur. For making knee pads with thermal properties.
- cotton. It is used to impart strength and elasticity to the fixture.
- Lycra, Elastane, Polyurethane - Synthetic stretch fabric with high breathability.
- Neoprene. Elastic material for good fixation of the knee joint. These knee pads are easy to maintain. In addition, they have a warming effect.
Devices for Immobilizing the Knee: Varieties
There are quite a few models and types of this orthopedic device. They are made of different materials. Knee braces can be open or closed, flexible or rigid. In addition, knee braces can be equipped with hinges, metal inserts, magnetic plates, silicone rings, and even an infrared heating source.
Depending on the purpose of fixing the product, they are presented in the following variants.
- bandage. An elastic corset that helps secure the knee area, heats and relieves load.
- Orthotics. It is similar to a bandage, but more functional.
- caliper. It is used for preventive purposes to help maintain the knee joint and prevent injury.
- support. Rigid knee pads, used during rehabilitation in most cases. Such kneecaps are assigned for arthropathy.
- tutor. A device in the form of a metal tire with rigid fixtures. Dispense after surgery or injury. For the manufacture of such knee pads, mainly soft materials are used. The device is hypoallergenic.
- Elastic knee pads. Many familiar devices, convenient and easy to use.
- adhesive tape. Elastic tape. The task of banding is to help relieve the load on the muscles and ligaments.
Details about knee pads
Bandages on the knee joint are used to easily immobilize the knee. Knee pads help minimize loads, but at the same time, such equipment does not impede movement. For the manufacture of fixtures, cotton, synthetic materials and knitwear are used.
Orthotics are somewhat similar to bandages. The main difference is the presence of other elements within the first element. Depending on the reason, such products are functional and help immobilize the knee joint. They can be equipped with rigid ribs and inserts, silicone rings, side hinges. You can use Velcro to secure your knee pads.
A splint is a special type of splint that is primarily used for moderate or rigid immobilization. This equipment is more convenient and practical than gypsum splints. In addition, the duration of functional recovery of the knee joint was significantly shortened when a splint was used in place of a plaster cast.
As for the brace, the main purpose of this knee brace is to completely immobilize the knee. The knee brace features hinges that allow the patient to move without putting pressure on the knee, as well as neoprene-covered reinforcements that facilitate necessary movement without damaging the meniscus. Such devices are worn to immobilize joints in conditions such as osteoarthritis and knee arthropathy, as well as meniscus tears.
Calipers are designed for those who are actively involved in sports and who lead an active lifestyle. Calipers help prevent the risk of various injuries by protecting and immobilizing not only the joints, but also the lateral muscles and ligaments, the patella and the meniscus.
Before the advent of modern immobilization devices, elastic bandages were highly regarded. It has been used in sports to prevent injuries and minimize pain.
Tape is a unique bandage with a special adhesive surface. Used correctly, this product does not squeeze the joints and does not restrict movement, instead it micro-masses the skin. For the manufacture of such jigs, mainly cotton is used. This product helps reduce pain, swelling and bruising in the affected joints.
Recommendations for choosing knee pads
Knee orthoses should only be selected by qualified specialists according to the purpose of use. The knee brace must match the individual parameters of the knee joint. It's not worth choosing the device yourself under any circumstances, especially if you're complaining about pain. Choosing the wrong knee pad can be detrimental. Ideally, the brace should fit the knee, immobilizing the joint, but not squeezing it. If the product is large, it will slip and therefore cannot perform its function.
You just need to buy bandages in specialized stores. The price of orthotics will vary based on the manufacturer, model, and features of the device.
As for size, you can determine this: Measure your leg just above your knee (about fifteen centimeters). If your hip is 44cm, then your size is S, 44-54cm - M, 54-60cm - L, 60-67cm - XL, 67 and more - XXL.
In order not to get the wrong size, be sure to measure the product before purchasing.
How to care for your knee pads
In order for the orthopaedic knee brace to serve you for a long time without losing its therapeutic and preventive function, you need to maintain it and follow the rules of operation specified in the instructions.
- Do not wash bandages in the washing machine.
- Do not iron the latch.
- Do not hang the product to dry. Put it on a flat surface. Therefore, you can prevent the orthosis from deforming and stretching.
- Do not use additional chemicals when washing.
You can only use bandages with a doctor's prescription. If you play sports and decide to pay attention to the condition of your joints during exercise, then it is advisable to purchase orthoses in the presence of a trainer. Wear knee pads for no more than three hours a day. Wear only during exercise or exercise therapy.